Since a storm brought flash floods through town Saturday night, I’ve been finding a few evidences of my jaunt through the water — a rear inner fender pried out of place, some rock-light wiring hanging below a fender, but nothing truly of note.
Then, tonight, I discovered a broken tail light and a fog lamp bulb shattered inside its housing. I guess the deepest stuff a few blocks west of the house was a little deeper than I thought to get into those housings.
It still, obviously, could’ve been a lot worse. That’s the cost of playing in the water, I suppose.
Words can’t say how nice it is to finally have a forecast that should let me stay top-down all week!
It figures, I’d park right next to a sprinkler that would come on while I spent 30 minutes away from the opened-up Jeep. Ugh, the entire front seat, dash and windshield got soaked. So far, everything still works, at least.
I’m SO longing a road trip right now …
The job took longer than I expected. That’s mostly because, after I removed my grey plastic factory fenders, I was shocked at the number of places they’d rubbed through the paint and primer to reveal shiny steel underneath. I made sure to properly grind, prime and paint each spot before moving forward with each fender’s installation.
Then, there was the side-marker light that didn’t want to go back into its plug. And, there was the square clip for the other marker light that had turned brittle with age, and took more finesse in removing and reinstalling in the new fender.
Such unexpected hiccups are what make wrenching on Jeeps memorable.
In the end, though, I couldn’t be happier with the results. This is what Smokey should have looked like from the factory.